Concord Field Station Facilities
The Concord Field Station is located on a former Nike missle defense base near Bedford, Massachusetts.
The facilities are composed of several buildings including the main lab and office area, a wood and
machine shop, an enclosed trackway, and an outbuilding housing the wind tunnel.
Main Lab Building
The Concord Field Station main building contains laboratory and office space (3800 sq. ft.), animal quarters
(1300 sq. ft), and a 3 bedroom apartment for visiting research faculty and fellows. Laboratory
space includes a large general purpose lab space, an animal surgery suite, and a "wet lab" space devoted
to in situ muscle research.
The wind tunnel was designed for animal flight research, it facilitates steady speed experiments
on bird and bat flight. Itl operates at speeds of up to 28 meters per second and has a rectangular
flight chamber with a volume of 1.5 cubic meters. See the media section
for videos from the wind tunnel.
The treadmill has an integrated force plate for measuring the vertical forces during the stance
phase. Current treadmill projects include a study of the cost of locomotion in emus through ontogeny
and the kinematics of wallaby hopping. Check the media section
for video of a wallaby hopping on the treadmill.
Field station grounds
The field station is located on 62 acres of land for studies of community ecology, biodiversity,
plant growth & physiology and animal pasture.
From Logan Airport
- Take Interstate 93 North for about 10 miles.
- Take exit 37B to merge onto I-95 South/RT-128 South towards Waltham.
- Go about 7 miles, then take Exit 31B towards Bedford. Continue with directions below.
From Cambridge/Harvard University
- Follow Mass Ave. northbound or Fresh Pond Parkway (Route 16E) to Route 2 West.
- Head west on Route 2 towards Concord for 6.2 miles.
- Take Exit 52B to merge onto Route 128/I-95 North towards Peabody.
- Go for 3.5 miles, then take Exit 31B towards Bedford.
From Exit 31B
- At the top of the exit ramp, reset your trip odometer.
- Follow Route 4/225 (this is called The Great Rd) through Bedford Center for about 3 miles.
- Go throughs six stoplights at 0.6 miles, 1.2 miles, 1.5 miles, 1.9 miles, 2.1 miles and 2.4 miles.
- At 2.7 miles, stay to the right to remain on Route 4/225; avoid Route 62 which splits off to the left.
- At 2.8 miles (across from the Volkswagon dealership) get in the left turn lane and make an
odd little left turn onto Route 225 (in front of the gas station).
- Stay on Route 225 for exactly one mile.
- At 3.9 miles keep your eyes peeled for the small blue street sign on the right side of the road
that says "Old Causeway Rd".
- Turn right onto Old Causeway Road and follow the road through the woods to the Concord Field Station,
at about 4.4 miles.
- If you miss the blue street sign, you'll know you went too far when you see that you are
crossing a river (about half a mile too far down Rt. 225). Turn around, go back and turn left onto Old Causeway Rd.