Skip to main content
Abzhanov Lab publications
- Abzhanov, A. (2013) von Baer’s Law for the ages: lost and found principles of developmental evolution. Trends in Genetics 12, 712-722.
- Weeks, O., Bhullar, B., and Abzhanov, A. (2013) The molecular characterization of dental development in the American alligator Alligator mississipiensis. Evolution & Development 15, 393-405.
Rands, C, Fujita, M, Kong, L, Webster, M, Clabaut, C, Emes, RD, Heger, A, Meader, S, Hawkins, MB, Grant, P, Grant, BR, Abzhanov, A, and Ponting, CP (2013). Insights into the evolution of Darwin’s finches from a comparative analysis of the Geospiza magnirostris genome sequence. BMC Genomics 14: 95-111.
Sanger, TJ, Sherratt, E, McGlothlin, JW, Brodie, ED, Losos, JB and Abzhanov A (2013). Convergent Evolution of Sexual Dimorphism in Skull Shape Using Distinct Developmental Strategies. Evolution 67: 2180-2193.
- Mallarino, R, O Campas, J Fritz, K J Burns, M P Brenner, and A Abzhanov (2012). Closely related bird species demonstrate flexibility between beak morphology and underlying developmental programs. Proc Natl Acad Sci 109: 16222–16227.
Mallarino, RM and A Abzhanov (2012). Paths Less Travelled: Evo-Devo Approaches to Investigating Animal Morphological Evolution. Annual Review of Cell and Developmental Biology 28: 743-763.
- Bhullar, B-A, J Marugán-Lobón, F Racimo, GS Bever, MA Norell, TB Rowe, A Abzhanov (2012). Birds have paedomorphic dinosaur skulls. Nature 487: 223–226.
- Mallarino, R, O Campas, J Fritz, KJ Burns, MP Brenner, and A Abzhanov (2012). Different regulatory mechanisms underlie the evolution of beak shapes convergence in closely related species of birds. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 109: 16222–16227.
Sanger, TJ, DL Mahler , A Abzhanov, JB Losos (2012). Roles for Modularity and Constraint in the Evolution of Cranial Diversity Among Anolis Lizards. Evolution 66: 1525-1542.
- St John, JA, E Braun, SR Isberg, LG Miles, AY Chong, J Gongora, P Dalzell, C Moran, B Bed’Hom, A Abzhanov, SC Burgess, AM Cooksey, TA Castoe, NG Crawford, LD Densmore, JC Drew, SV Edwards, BC Faircloth, MK Fujita, MJ Greenwold, FG Hoffmann, JM Howard, T Iguchi,
DE Janes, SY Khan, S Kohno, APJ de Koning, SL Lance, FM McCarthy, JE McCormack, ME Merchant, DG Peterson, DD Pollock, N Pourmand, BJ Raney, KA Roessler, JR Sanford, RH Sawyer, CJ Schmidt, EW Triplett, TD Tuberville, M Venegas-Anaya, JT Howard, ED Jarvis, LJ Guillette Jr, TC Glenn, RE Green, and DA Ray (2012). Sequencing three crocodilian genomes to illuminate the evolution of archosaurs and amniotes. Genome Biol 13: 415-427.
- Ketal, K, RJ Kulathinal, A Abzhanov, S Boissinot, NG Crawford, BC Faircloth, TC Glenn, DE Janes, JB Losos, DB Menke, S Poe, TJ Sanger, CJ Schneider, J Stapley, Juli Wade and Jeanne Wilson-Rawls (2011). Developing a community-based genetic nomenclature for anole lizards. BMC Genomics 12: 554-603.
- Mallarino, RM, A Herrel, WP Kuo, BR Grant, Grant PR, A Abzhanov (201)1. Two developmental modules establish 3D beak-shape variation in Darwin’s finches. Proc Natl Acad Sci 108: 4057-4062.
- S Fu, H Zhao, J Shi, A Abzhanov, K Crawford, L Ohno-Machado, J Zhou, Y Du, WP Kuo, J Zhang, M Jiang and JG Jin (2008). Peripheral arterial occlusive disease: global gene expression analyses suggest a major role for immune and inflammatory responses. BMC Genomics 9: 369.
- Abzhanov, A, CG Extavour, A Groover, SA Hodges, HE Hoekstra, EM Kramer and A Monteiro (2008). Are we there yet? Tracking the development of new model systems. Trends in Genetics 24: 353-360.